6 Random Kilchoman FactsFebruary 22, 2014
1. Kilchoman is named so because the distillery sits in the parish of Kilchoman, Kilchoman Church is only a few hundred metres from the still house.
2. It takes 17 days to transform harvested Kilchoman barley into new make spirit which is filled into casks
o 1 day drying the harvested barley
o 2 days steeping
o 5 days malting
o 1 day peating
o 2 days Kiln drying
o 1 day mashing
o 4 days fermenting
o 1 day distilling
3. Only 10 casks of Kilchoman were filled in 2005, the distillery’s founding year.
4. Kilchoman is approximately 1/10th the size of Islay’s next smallest distillery and 1/50th the size of Islay biggest distillery.
5. Kilchoman is one of only 7 Scotch whisky distilleries practicing traditional floor malting.
6. Kilchoman was the first distillery to be built on Islay for 124 years.
‘Friday Night in with Anthony and James Wills’… Tasting Kilchoman through the ages.
Tune in for another Instagram live Friday 27th March at 6pm UK time. (Please note this is separate from the tasting packs that went on sale earlier this week, they are for the live tasting on Friday 3rd April). Join Anthony and James as they talk you through 3 different…March 27, 2020